Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cooking: Spaghetti with a red wine and zucchini sauce

PASTA!!!!!!!
As mentioned in my intro post I love to cook and today I was able to for my mom and sister. My mom told me that we had a lot of red wine left over from my graduation party so do something with that. I automatically thought, pasta, I love CARBS so this was a no brainer for me I googled red wine sauce and did my own interpretation of it. Please read below to learn how I made it

 Ingredients
 <The recipe calls for 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes all I had was tomato sauce so I made due
< 2 tablespoons olive oil
<2 cloves garlic, minced
<1 teaspoon salt and pepper
<1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (be careful with the red pepper flakes and pepper, I thought it was fine but my mom and sister thought it was too spicy..i do love spicy food though if that is an indication of anything)
< 1 tablespoon dried oregano (that is what is in the bag, we grow and dry our own oregano in my house, smells delicious!)
< 1 tablespoon dried basil ( from Trader Joes, we do not grow that in our garden unfortunately )
<1/2 cup red wine
< 1 and 1/2 zucchini
< I also added about a teaspoon of Trader Joes everyday seasoning I put it on everything because it is an everyday seasoning loll so why not?
< Sprinkle of parmesan (not in picture ): )




STEPS:
This is exactly what they had online but I interpreted like I said earlier by adding zucchini and that everyday seasoning. But other then that I followed the steps to a T but just before I put a lid over the saucepan I added the zucchini so they could cook and soften during those 30 minutes.
  This is what it looked like before I covered it with a lid. That red color is gorgeous am I right?
This is what the final product looked like the parmesan makes all the difference by the way I mean who doesn't love to add to cheese to everything. I went ahead and boiled the water and cooked the spaghetti while the sauce was reducing for thirty minutes. Also if the sauce is too thick for you add some water, and if it is too spicy go ahead and add some honey, agave, or plain old sugar...but not to much or you will end up with a sweet mess of a sauce.
 
The taste test: On a scale of 1-10
Me: 9 ( semi-biased)
Mom: 10 ( I think she didn't want to hurt my feelings, but I know she thought it was a little too spicy for her liking)
Sister: 8.9 ( Probably the most accurate and unbiased opinion)
 
Please let me know in the comments if any of you try this recipe, I would love to know how it turned out with you guys!
Bon appetite to all!
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment